The Asian Art Museum’s Art Speak internship provides career training and monthly stipends to public high school students in grades 10–12. Interns discover Asian art and cultural traditions, and learn from local artists and arts organizations, conduct informational interviews with museum staff to explore careers in the arts, and develop their leadership skills by creating and facilitating virtual art activities.
The Art Speak internship is a paid nine-month experience that runs from September to May. Interns will meet virtually for most of the program year due to COVID-19 (may change to in-person meetings at the museum, depending on public health orders from the city of San Francisco) and are expected to commit six to eight hours each week.
What Will I Do at the Museum?
- Discover the art and cultural traditions of Asia and learn about special exhibitions and the museum collection
- Create hands-on art activities and other materials for learning about art and culture
- Develop art activities and produce video tutorials for family public programs and the Art Speak Instagram
- Learn about the Bay Area arts scene and workshop virtually with local artists
- Engage in and learn about social justice and activism through informational and art-based workshops
- Meet virtually with like-minded teens working in the arts across the country
- Meet virtually with museum staff and learn about collaboration and management of a mid-size art museum
- Use social media to build an online audience presence and generate interest in the museum’s programs
Am I Eligible?
The Art Speak internship is open to:
- Bay Area public high school students in good standing in grades 10, 11, and 12
- Teens interested in art making, art history, Asian art and culture, museums, writing, video producing and editing, media arts, social media, social justice, and arts education
- Artistic, responsible, self-motivated, enthusiastic teens excited about working in a creative field
- Outgoing individuals eager to share their artistic skills by teaching museum visitors virtually
- Youth who are comfortable engaging with fellow interns, staff, artists, and visitors virtually
- Students who can commit to working virtually six to eight hours a week
What’s in it for Me?
Art Speak interns get:
- Monthly stipend based on the California minimum wage
- School credit (if applicable; must be confirmed through your school before applying)
- Spending time virtually with other artistic teens, professional artists, and museum staff
- Opportunities to expand your skill set and build your portfolio
- Rich experience for resumes, jobs, and college applications